Subscribe to AJRM
Sign up to receive automatic alerts when new editions of the African Journal of Respiratory Medicine are published, it is entirely free of charge.
Terms & Conditions
Updated on October 23rd 2019
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We request personal information from you while interacting with the AJRM website, as follows:
- When you register for updates or to receive other types of notifications from us, we will ask for your email address to enable us to send you the information you have requested.
- If you want to submit a manuscript or other research output for consideration we will ask for relevant information so that we may consider, process, and possibly publish your manuscript, in conformance with accepted publishing standards. You may voluntarily provide us with additional information to help us identify and contact you, such as your phone number, address detail and ORCID iD if you have registered for such.
- Once registered we will gather and store your username and password to identify you at sign-in and to administer your account.
By generally visiting or otherwise interacting with the AJRM site, we collect, have access to, store and use your computer’s IP address, the URL/domain name of any referring website, the time and date of your visit to the AJRM site, and certain information known as “clickstream data” to enable us to understand how people interact with our website, and to analyze data for trends and statistics, to help diagnose and solve issues with the site. We use click view data to provide statistics on articles such as number of views and downloads. We also use session cookies, as described below. From time to time, we use software tools to play back user sessions for our internal use in assessing our customers’ interactions with our software, and these sessions may be linked to your user account.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
How to Manage Cookies and Analytics
For information on how Google Analytics collects and processes data, visit www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. To opt-out of Google Analytics, visit Google’s “How you can control the information collected by Google on these sites and apps” article
Use of the PLOS Sites is intended for adults at least eighteen (18) years of age and we do not knowingly collect personally-identifying information from children under the age of thirteen (13).
HOW WE USE AND DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
We use your personal information as described in the ‘INFORMATION WE COLLECT’ section, to customise your experience on the AJRM site and to facilitate our interactions with you whether as an author, reviewer or editor
If you simply visit the AJRM site to read content, we will use information such as your URL and cookies to provide a good experience, as described in the “INFORMATION WE COLLECT” section.
Disclosure to Third Parties: If you submit a manuscript or other research content to us for possible publication, we will send the title and abstract of your manuscript, and your name, to one or more potential external/volunteer editors and reviewers to gauge their interest in reviewing your content. If they agree to review your content, we will send them your full manuscript and any revisions and relevant comments you have provided. If your manuscript is accepted for publication, we share information about you, your manuscript, or other research content as reasonably necessary with volunteer curators and channel managers. In addition to volunteer curators and channel managers, we may share the foregoing information with journalists prior to publication for the purpose of promoting your work.
Third parties authorised by you to receive such information, such as third parties that facilitate the automatic update of your ORCID record.
- Third parties authorised by you to receive such information, such as third parties that facilitate the automatic update of your ORCID record.
- Third parties that conduct research for PLOS to improve the peer review system and scientific communication
- To comply with applicable law, or as required or permitted by law
- Where it is in our legitimate interests, under relevant law, to run, grow and develop our organisation in order to expand the impact of science and medicine
- If we sell any business or assets, we may disclose your personal information to the buyer of such business or assets
- If substantially all of our or any of our affiliates’ assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal information held by us will be one of the transferred assets
- To protect the safety of any person or to prevent any illegal activity
- To uphold the integrity of research in cases of suspected research integrity breaches
We will never disclose demographic information, described in the “INFORMATION WE COLLECT” section above, to third parties, unless it has been anonymised or otherwise deidentified.
No Sale or Leasing of Your Information
HOW LONG WE RETAIN YOUR INFORMATION
We keep your personal information for as long as is necessary to provide services to you, and for as long as your account and/or registration with PLOS is active. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes, and to enforce our agreements.
PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use reasonable and appropriate physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to protect your information from unauthorized use, access, loss, misuse, alteration, or destruction. We endeavor to protect the personal information we receive, gather and store, by such means as password protection, firewalls and other means. We also require that third party service providers acting on our behalf or with whom we share your information also provide appropriate security measures in accordance with industry standards.
Transmissions over the internet are never entirely secure and we cannot guarantee the security of information you submit via our website while it is in transit over the internet. Any such transmission of information by you over the internet is at your own risk.
Deletion of Personal Information
You may be entitled to request that we delete your personal information. If you wish to exercise this right, please submit your request at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your personal information will be deleted but we will retain your request to delete to establish, exercise or defend a legal claim and for our legitimate interest in recalling your request to delete.
If you are an author and have submitted a manuscript or other research outputs to us or you are an editor or reviewer that has reviewed manuscripts or other research outputs submitted to us, your personal data will be deleted except for that personal data that is necessary for us to establish, exercise or defend a legal claim; for archiving scientific research; and for exercising the right of freedom of expression and information. Such personal data includes your name, institutional affiliation, title and email address.
Access, Update, Data Portability and Other Rights
You may also be entitled to access your information, update your personal information which is out of date or incorrect, restrict use of your personal information in certain specific circumstances, place a data portability request (applicable only when we use your personal information on the basis of your consent or performance of a contract, and where our use of your information is carried out by automated means), and ask us to consider any valid objections which you have to our use of your personal information where we process it on the basis of our or another person’s legitimate interest. Requests should be directed to: email@example.com
You also have the right to lodge a complaint before a supervisory data protection authority regarding our data processing.
HOW TO CONTACT US REGARDING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION